Early pioneers planted the first cane in the Tully District during the 1860’s and 70’s and cane was initially crushed at small on-farm mills.
The Tully Sugar Mill was built in the 1920’s to service the developing sugar cane industry.
Today the mill is a major employer in Tully and also provides limited additional seasonal work during the harvesting season.
Tully Sugar Ltd processes around 2 million tonnes of cane per year but climatic conditions have a significant impact on this figure.
Tully Sugar Ltd was purchased by the Chinese owned COFCO company in 2011.
During the cane crushing season from June to November, guided tours are conducted through the mill. Tours need to be booked at the Tully Visitor & Heritage Centre, Bruce Highway Tully. Phone (07) 4068 2288.